Wednesday, November 14, 2012


1. How do the definitions in the first chapter compare to your own definition of instructional or educational technology?  What experiences or other influences have shaped your definition? How has your definition changed from examining the definitions in the first chapter of this book?
 
As I read through the text I realized that much of what I thought was probably wrong.  In one section of the text it stated, "when asked to define the term instructional technology, will mention computers, videos, CD-ROMs, overhead and slide projectors..."  I fell into this category.  When I use to define educational technology I tended to state the differernt types of technology that were used instead of talking of the uses or process of technology, like the text stated.  I realize now that even though I knew that IT was using resources, the implementation and the instructional processes related to those resources I now know that I need to add that to my definition, as that is also an integral part of the definition itself.  Some of the experiences that have influced this definition is what I have been doing in the library and some of the lessons that I create using these different resources, whether it is hardware or software products.  I have now started to think about when I create lessons such as research projects and we use different resources, it is not just about using the resources that cause this to be considered IT, but it is how I created the lesson to facilitate the learning for those students, how they would use it, how the students and I would look at what they created and analyze how it could be changed to better suit the objectives that are being taught using those resources that we have discussed.

2. Next, think of a lesson or unit of instruction that you have developed. Or if you haven’t ever taught or developed instruction, think of one that you have received. How does that lesson adhere or fail to adhere to the six characteristics of instructional design? How would you redesign it to better adhere to the six characteristics.
 
One of the lessons that comes to mind is a research project that I had the students work on last year.  They were to find information regarding their topic using a variety of formats, print, online text, databases, etc.  They were then to create a glog to show the information that they had found.  When looking back at this lesson I do feel that I followed the six steps of Instructional design.  The activity was very learner centered because they were in charge of finding their research and presenting their ideas.  This was something that I was overseeing and modeled, but they took the lead on what the information was and how they were going to use that information.  Next I do feel as if it was goal oriented because at the beginning we all discussed what our objectives were and how we were going to meet those objectives.  This was project was meaningful to them because again they were able to take control of the topic and information.  This was something that related somehow to them.  They were able to choose from a variety of topics which I believe gave them a sense of autonomy knowing that this was something that related to them, or something that they were interested in.  Next, we had somewhat of a rubric that we created so they were able to measure what they were doing, if it was correct, and if they had met the goals previously discussed.  This project was definitely self correcting.  There were many steps to the process and it was an ongoing, and ever changing project.  This is where the rubric came into play a lot.  The discussions of how are you meeting your goals and objectives and then the students would be able to go back and reevaluate their project and make changes if necessary.  As far as the last characteristic is concerned, this is where I feel like I may have fallen short.  This was more of an individual project.  The students were to share their glog and have other students participate with the glog whether it was participating in the activities or simply reading the information that was gathered, but it was developed my individual students, not a group.  Next time I would try to have a group work on the project to apply different ideas from a variety of people.  It would have probably made the projects better to get a variety of ideas from people because usually when you have several people working on something they tend to bring new ways and ideas of doing something which makes the end result better.

3. In the 3rd chapter, Reiser distinguishes instructional media from instructional design, excluding teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media. Why? Would you consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks instructional media? Is the purpose of instructional design to incorporate media into instruction?
 
I would consider teachers, chalkboards and textbooks as instructional media.  I say this because to me instructional media is any type of resource that provide information and learning to a student.  So in this case all of these things do provide a wealth of information, and help in presenting that information to the students. It sates in the text, " Professionals in the field of instructional design and technology often use systematic instructional design parocedures and employ instructional media to accomplish their goals. "  With that said, yes the purpose of instructional design is to incorporate media into instruction.  In order to follow the goals of instructional design you have to implement the use of instructional media to improve the learning of students.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime, I felt as you do with the definition of instructional technology. I would often too just list the types I was using but omit the processes or how they could improve the instruction and help motivate the students. I also loved your research project. I remember making a Glog for a class and it does involve all six characteristics of instructional design. I feel students learn more in the creation of projects such as these because of their involvement and those who use the Glog as an as an activity or just to gain information it is very appealing to users. (This would hopefully help them retain more information.) Very good use of the tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime, we share thoughts on what would be called media. I like using group work to help build student's ideas of interpretation. They all tend to apply their own life situations to the learning, so grouping students of different backgrounds helps to broaden their spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that educators often build lessons around technology. We should be more diligent when it comes to crafting lessons that will help kids not only learn the curriculum but also the technology. Incorporating technology should not be an afterthought. Instead, technology should compliment the lessons and enhance real-world knowledge. I really liked your glog idea. Kids who create their own glog learn skills that go far beyond the classroom and curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I agree with your thoughts on teachers, chalkboards and textbooks as instructional media. They are all valuable resources that provide students with information. I also was like you and would state the different types of technology that were used instead of focusing on the use or process of technology to help the students learn. I think the first chapter did a wonderful job of giving me a well-rounded picture of what instructional technology is and it sounds like that was the case for you as well.

    ReplyDelete